Dark Chocolate Salted Turtles
My husband and I started making these the first year we got married. They make a great little dessert, and a perfect gift during the Christmas Season. You can do any type of chocolate you'd like, or not salt them. No matter what, they're still delicious!
8 Ounces Pecan Halves
25 Caramel Squares, unwrapped and I used Kraft
1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1Teaspoon of Vegetable Oil
Sea Salt or SAVOR Vanilla Bean Sea Salt
16 Ounces Dark Chocolate, melted
- Line two baking sheets with silpat parchment paper (make sure these can fit in your frig or freezer)
- Make piles of about 5 pecans, overlap them like sticks so everything can cling together with caramel.
- In a small sauce pan add caramels and place in low heat. It will take about 5 minutes but do not leave them. Stir continually until you notice them start to melt. Next, add the heavy whipping cream and continue to stir. If it seems thick feel free to add a little more cream.
- Once caramel is smooth and creamy cover each pile with 1 tablespoon caramel.
- Fill a 2-quart saucepan with water (not too full because the bowl cannot touch water). and bring to a simmer.
- Place your heat proof bowl over a saucepan. Be sure to not let the bowl touch the water. Once on top saucepan, stir continually until chocolate is melted. If the chocolate seems too thick you can add one teaspoon on vegetable oil to loosen it up.
- Add 2 tablespoons chocolate to the top of each pecan group. Pour the chocolate on top and let it settles down the sides. You can use the back of your spoon to spread it around.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to each Turtle (I used SAVOR Vanilla Bean Sea Salt).
- Allow Turtles to set in the fridge or freezer for 45 minutes before serving. Enjoy!