The Kentucky Derby is right around the corner! My husband was born in Kentucky and the majority of his family still lives there. Needless to say, the Derby is a big deal in the Brockman family. We went in 2014 and it was a blast! From the Oaks Lily Cocktail to big hats, it is definitely a bucket list experience. But, you don't have to go to Louisville to celebrate the derby. I have an iconic cocktail recipe for you to use May 5th and 6th. The perfect Mint Julep recipe is below and here is a link to the Derby stations with watch times!
Time to place your bets!
- 1-1/2 parts Bourbon
- Fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup, muddled with mint
- Splash of distilled water
- Powdered sugar
- Mint for garnish
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup distilled water
- Mix together simple syrup muddled with mint, Bourbon, and water.
- Fill glass with crushed ice and pour mixture over top.
- Sprinkle top of ice with powdered sugar.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.