Baked Panko Onion Rings
We love our grill. The weekends usually consist of three grilled meat dinners and some sides. Last weekend we did smoked chicken wings and I decided to whip up an onion ring recipe I've been putting together. PSA: this is not for the faint of heart and requires patience, but they are pretty yummy.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 onions, sliced (1/2-inch thick and separated into rings)
- 2 large eggs, egg whites only
- ½ Cup of Whole Milk
- Cracked Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (Spray pan or use Silpat Mat so the onion rings don't stick.)
- Combine flour, garlic salt, and cracked pepper into a separate bowl.
- Place Bread Crumb Measurement into a separate bowl.
- Crack eggs and place egg whites and milk mixture into a separate bowl.
- Dredge onion rings in flour mixture, dip into egg/milk mixture, then dredge in Panko mixture. You will need to press the mixture to coat the onion ring.
- Spread onions on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with Olive oil. Place into oven and bake until golden brown and crispy. 15-20 minutes! I served with a spicy BBQ sauce. Enjoy!