Triple Berry Heart Pie
Valentine's Day is a month away, and I am in full Valentine mode over here! I have lots of fun things happening between now and February 14th, so I had to get started on some yummy recipes.
- You can buy two frozen crusts (I used Trader Joe’s) or make a homemade crust.
- 4 Cups frozen berries (I used a triple berry mixture from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Egg white beaten with a fork
- 1 Tablespoon half and half or milk
- Heart Cookie Cutters
- Thaw or make your crusts. Roll each one out over a floured surface. Place one crust in the bottom of your pie dish.
- In a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir and then bring to medium heat. After a few minutes, reduce heat to low.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Roll out second pie crust until its about ¼ inch thick. Begin using your heart cookie cutter and place them on top of the berries. Layer according to how you want it to look. I used three different size heart cookie cutters.
- Combine egg white and milk, whisk well. Brush a thin layer of beaten egg wash to the top of the pie and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees. Check it after about 25 minutes and place a piece of tinfoil over it if the top crust is getting too brown. Bake for 15-20 more minutes or under golden and bubbly!
- Let to cool for several hours. Enjoy!