We have had some serious cold weather in Birmingham recently, as has most of the country. I don't know about y'all, but I crave hot soups and comfort foods when it is cold. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is an easy dinner that will be sure to warm you up!
· 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 1 Tablespoon olive oil
· 32 oz. chicken broth (I used reduced sodium)
· ½ Cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
· 2 cans (9 oz.) chopped green chilies
· ½ Cup of Salsa Verde
· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
· 2 cans great northern beans, drained, divided
· 2 cans cannellini beans, drained, divided
- Boil chicken breasts (will take about 20 minutes, check center of a thick piece to make sure they are finished.) and tear apart, or shed in kitchen aid mixer.
- While you are cooking chicken combine, onion, chicken broth, whipping cream, green chilies, salsa Verde, cumin, garlic salt, great northern beans and cannellini beans in the crock pot.
- Once chicken is shredded add to crock-pot and set crock-pot heat to low. Let simmer for 3 hours, periodically stirring and checking. Feel free to add water if needed.
Serve hot with suggested toppings!
Toppings: Shredded Cheese, Avocado, Jalapeno slices, Hot Sauce, Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips and Scallions.