4th of July Blueberry Pie
I had the BEST Friday afternoon with my sweet friend Reagan! Most of you who have followed me for a while know I am obsessed with her, and her delicious decorated cookies. She is just as sweet as her confections! We spent the afternoon chatting and baking two delicious blueberry pies with perfect little stars for the holiday weekend. Recipe for our 4th of July pie below!
- Frozen Pie Crust from Trader Joes, makes 2 crusts; 1 for bottom 1 for top)
- 6 cups blueberries, fresh
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 Tablespoon of milk
- sugar for garnish
- Stir the blueberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Set filling aside as the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Roll out one of the pie dough crusts on a floured work surface. Carefully place the dough into a 9x2 inch pie dish. Spoon the filling into the crust, leave out any liquid. Slice small pieces of butter on top.
- Use the second pie dough crust for the stars. Roll out on a floured surface. Cut stars about 1/2 inch think with cookie cutter. Place as desired.
- Brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash mixture. Sprinkle the top with sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn the temperature down to 350°F and bake for 25 more minutes. Monitor as it bakes.
- Let cool for 2-3 hours at room temperature before serving.