Valentine Hand Pies
Happy National Pie Day! Let's celebrate with these precious Valentine Hand Pies.
INGREDIENTS - (you can make the dough or you can buy pre-made pie crust.)
DOUGH AND FILLING
- 1 Jar Strawberry Preserves
- 1 Jar Cherry Preserves
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour, more for sprinkling
- 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 Cup Cold, Salted Butter cut into cubes
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Stick of Salted Butter
- Themed Sprinkles
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- Pink and Red Food coloring
1. In food processor add your flour and sugar and pulse to combine. Add your butter and pulse again until it comes together. Add your vanilla and slowly add water. Watch so that you do not over-mix.
2. Roll your dough into a ball and chill for 20 minutes. Once chilled, sprinkle flour and roll out your dough to 1/4" inch thick.
3. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut dough with heart shaped cookie cutters.
4. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and cover with parchment paper or silpat.
5. Add 1-2 tablespoons (depending upon size of dough) of Cherry or Strawberry preserves to the center of each hand pie and spread around. Cover with remaining dough rectangles, then press edges with a fork to seal. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
6. While they bake make your icing and pink sugar crystals . Mix your powdered sugar and butter together. If it needs to be thicker add more powdered sugar. Place ½ cup of sugar in individual plastic sandwich bag. Add 5 drops of food coloring (red or pink) to the bag. Add more food color (1-2 drops at a time) if you want the color darker. Seal bag and shake vigorously until coloring is distributed and visible.
7. Remove pies and let them cool slightly. Spread icing onto pies (I like mine to run a little so I let them cool just a bit) and top with Valentine sprinkles or sugar crystals sprinkles.
8. Let them rest for a few hours, then enjoy!